Thursday, August 25, 2005

tricks and treats

I have yet to meet a challenge I do not despise. Thankfully, travelling alone is a pleasure, not a dare; anonymity is the ultimate freedom. In keeping with the avoidance of challenge, I travel very light. I plan to test the endurance of my curiosity and awareness, not my body. I will head off wearing my canoe gear: sturdy Garamont hiking boots, breathable waterproof rainpaints (great for keeping off the muck)over pale blue silk longjohns, and a comfortable t-shirt covered with a long-sleeve button shirt.

In my light and sturdy backpack I will pack:
extra pair fluffy socks
hiking pants
extra t-shirt
down vest
rain jacket
rain hat
sketch pad and Staedtler pens
writing pad and Cristal Bic pen, black ink
very little gold (too heavy)
many small jewels of wide-ranging value
down sleeping bag (soft, light, and very warm)
bivvy sac (rainproof cover for sleeping outdoors)

The paper I call money may be valueless elsewhere, and so I bring goods to trade: gold, jewels, and the means to draw pictures and write stories. The rest tells simply this: Like a watch, I lose the ability to function when I get cold, tired, or worn out.

By and large, I will trust the people I meet along the way to help me, either with information or donations, to meet what needs I have not anticipated. But there are many, too, who would harm me, I know, and so I will trade for this one tremendous journey all the luck I have ever known, or would ever have, for a slick magic that will make all hands who try to restrain me simply slide off, no matter how hard they try. The only drama on this journey will be the drama of discovery. The fear I will know, is the fear of myself...of my own blindness, unwillingness, and judgmentalness. Not one step forward will be a treacherous one. The only horror I will encounter will be that of standing at the foot of something beautiful, unseeing, and therein pass by without having loved it.
My only intent is to see and embrace as much as I can bring myself to accept and appreciate, thereby sparing myself the shame of returning a fool.

And now...a good night's rest before I begin.

Stephanie

4 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

Ah! Wonderful to see you have packed and are ready to pass through the doorway into the realm of the Enchantress. Megan will pick you up and show you the way. Look for the special doorway and enter into the subterranean cave. A guide will be waiting for you.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

After reading this, Steph, I can only say it is a pleasure to welcome you on the joutney.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Hello Dear Heart!

Welcome to the journey! You have a long way to travel before you arrive at the house of the Serpent, but I'll be following your progress and looking out for you. Many things you first perceive as threats or dangers will turn into wonders and joys so proceed confidently.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Good luck on your journey over the many roads, great excitement awaits - (Hermitage)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home