Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Episode 2. At Golden Grove

In case you have forgotten, dear reader,I found myself, possibly ( probably) invisible in Golden Grove. Suprised to find myself in a Mediaeval time warp. Quite unprepared. To continue...

My tiredness was becoming overwhelming. It had been a long day, and a long way from Sydney to Italy, even if I Had 'flown". The words of the Shakesperian players washed over me...Shakespeare always had that affect on me...and although I felt secure in my seemingly invisible state, I was unable to shake the feeling that one of the players was watching me, quizzically.

The ale added to the general somnolence of the afternoon. Strange place names such as Lemurian Abbey, Glastonbury Tor and Baba Yage drifted my way. I gathered that this group of itinerants was on a journey, maybe even a pilgrimage, this being a land of caves and hermits. Look at St Francis! Glastonbury Tor was a bit of a worry though. As I recall it was over in England somewhere. Maybe they were heading for Arthur's Court!! Intriguing. Enticing.
Adventurous!!!

Then and there I resolved to trail in their wake. One needed company in the Middle Ages after all. Experience had taught me that I was not temperamentally suited to group travel, so I intended to reveal myself only if necessary....for safety, or, as I thought, the unlikely event of loneliness. But I DID wish that the little imp would stop blinking in my direction. Almost as if she was trying to focus.

However the journey and the jug of ale took its toll and I was soon fast asleep. It was obviously morning when I jolted awake. A crisp clear day with the mist lifting through the pines at the edge of the grove. The raggle taggle players had gone. I was alone again. The only evidence anyone had been there at all was the cap I had noticed on the little imp. Fallen off in haste I presumed. The person whom I had suspected had been observing me. It was a burgundy velvet, so soft. A perfect fit. Tucked in the lining was a scrappy map and on it some of the names I had heard the previous day. Lemurian Abbey, Baba Yaga....

With no alternate plans in mind I decided to catch up to the players. Difficult, as there was no X to mark the spot I was at. These people didn't know what they were missing in having a good topographical map. The compass, which I had momentarily missed when flying in over the Umbrian Mtns, would have been of no use here!

A marked ring of pine trees however, showed me to be in the Golden Grove. Thus, setting my sights on reaching the Lemurian Abbey, hoping indeed that Glastonbury Tor wasn't where my
Grade 5 Geography suggested, I set off. My only disturbing thought was glimpsing another location on this flimsy chart. The Cave of Sybil!!! Somehow I wished I had paid more attention in History instead of dreaming about Brian next door. The Cave of Sybil was ringing a bell, not very loud, but one with a sinister resonance.

Reaching into my backpack, I tossed the swimming bathers behind some bushes. Obviously they were going to be superfluous on This trip!

6 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

Ah Jan! Shapechanger you may be but you cannot fool me. It is so good to see that you are posting here. This is just fabulous. You will have a great time observing the comings and goings in this land that is a bit like the world Alice ended up in. Now I might just have to draw her at the entrance.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Good idea.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Chameleon said...

Thank you L'Enchanteur....How did you know that I was partial to Alice in Wonderland? Salvador Dali has done a whole series that I love. Thank You!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

Well Jan! Sibyl's and Enchanteurs know the past present and future and are fond of looking in crystal balls and things like that. Suffice to say I just know. I have done the Alice picture and will put it up later. Remember I have only been drawing for a little while and I am no match for Dali.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Lois said...

What a beautiful story Chameleon,that the Enchantress knows you is of no surprise...she knows all hears all sees all,let us into the secret....
Who are you ?? as a Baba Handmaiden I can keep any secret.......Lois.7.9.05.
Ps. I will recognise in or out of your Bathers...its your name I need...Lois.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Chameleon said...

Lois! I am trying to be discreet and watchful as I head towards Dumwash!Maybe we will catch up there?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home