Saturday, September 10, 2005

Episode 5. Duwamish (Cont)

Nipped into full consciousness by the ant, I became aware of people gathering on the other side of the lake. Tents of some sort unfamiliar to me were being erected and there seemed to be a few donkeys and caravans gathering. How to reach them? Friendly I hoped, although my experiences thus far had all been positive. All that remained was to join them and introduce myself, hopefully NOT in Italian.

Then I heard shouting , and a canoe-like boat was paddling my way. It beached not far away.
"Hello, Chameleon" said a voice with a familiar lilt. It was indeed my dear friend from the Bath House. I suprised myself by the enthusiasm with which I greeted her, and this time found my voice to tell her of my journey and the adventures I had had so far to reach Duwamish.

At last I learned her name was Sophia, which pleased me as it befitted her caring and intuitive nature. At her beckoning I stepped into the canoe and picked up a paddle, remembering the white-water rafting I had originally envisaged as part of my adventure. She explained that it was nearly time to join the other pilgrims, that I had passed the test of solitude and contemplative meditation required of all those heading for the Abbey. She assured me that many feasts and enjoyable activities were being planned. ( Para-gliding? wickedly crossed my mind)

As we left the peaceful idyll I almost thought there was a hint of gum tips in the air. However in spite of Sopie's reassuring presence I could not help but feel an icy shiver. Was it apprehension at meeting and mixing with the other travellers on the far shore and becoming reliant on them? Or was it indeed that darkening cloud on the horizon. What I perceived as the last rays of the sun setting behind it could have also been a flash of lightning. I shivered again in spite of my Polartec. I looked back. Sophie had vanished and I was alone again, putting into the beach with not a lot of skill as the waves picked up under an on-shore breeze. The ducks on the shoreline had tucked their beaks into their feathers.

5 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Ah! Some forboding. There may be safety in numbers or you many be destined to take some time to reach them on the other side of the lake. Be assured that festivities are in store - and we may organise some para-gliding just for you darling.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Karen said...

This is so evocative! excellent work.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Chameleon said...

Thank you Karen...

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Fascinating reading.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Traveller said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your story Chameleon and look forward to more adventures

 

Post a Comment

<< Home