Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Presentation to the Gorgon

This is what the song should have looked like.

Oh dear, is it really my turn. You’re sure you don’t want to go instead of me? My voice, an elephant’s trumpet in the shower, is reduced to a mouse’s squeak when I’m put in front of a live audience. Oh well, for better or worse here I go:

in the
shadows of
the sallows a
sibilant hiss
of susurration
sings sweet
songs of silken
strands
into my
dreaming.
The sages'
sacerdotal
voices salute
the saffron
sunrise
strumming
sitars
in a symphony
of sound
while scrawny
satyrs swirl
and sprinkle
silica shards
into the stream.
Seers listen to
the scratching of
sepia scarabs
in the sand-
filled skulls
and instruct
the scribes.
I swoon in
scintillating
salivation of
slaves serving
serous sherbet
in scallop shells
and before
my eyes
the shrouded
shades
shuffle,
silhouettes,
in the shadows.
I will sleep
again.

6 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Th alliteration is spectacular, and I love the way you shaped the poem, it's really inspired!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

This was a fun read, I can't wait to see more!

Anita Marie

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

By the spectacular, slivering snakes! How did you do this Carol. I too adore the alliteration and the shape is too cool. This is a hard act to follow. Bugger *&?

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Something else!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Simply superb.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

thank you everyone. Blushes with embarrassment.
The idea just started with the line "a sybilant hiss of susurration", then I took out the dictionary and went through all the words beginning with S to find something suitable but it just seemed to flow. It seems to have worked :-)
The gorgon gave me a beautiful snake called Hiss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home