Tuesday, August 09, 2005

song of the thieving magpie - for Believer


One for sorrow, two for joy,
three for a letter, four for a boy.
I spy with my little eye
Something that glints with gold,
Something borrowed, something old
And something that someone surely will miss.
For I steal where I can – from a baby’s pram,
From an open window, a cluttered table,
A street, a shop, a garden – all have something to offer.
Jewels of a lady, beads from a child,
Shell from a snail, pebble from a path,
Words overheard in a tram -
all are grist to my little mill.
I line my nest, I hoard them away to gloat over.
I serenade them, turn them over with my beak
And add to my collection every day.

5 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

GO MAGPIE! This was so much fun to read...stealing from babies, how bad, how sly, how heheheheeee....


Anita Marie

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I have a bit of this gene myself...ooh, sparkly!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Oh, I love this! It reminds me of a t-shirt my darling daughter Lucia wears - ``I was going to take over the world, but I got distracted by something sparkly."

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

I have to confess to being a real magpie with jewellry - broken or whole. My DH reckons I could open a jewellry shop with all the stuff I've got. I CAN'T resist it!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Aw--for me? From one word thief to another, huh? I love it. It brought back a memory, too. I've never had a magpie, but my dad and I raised a blue jay--named Swoop, who stole a piece of chocolate out of my hand one day. He flew up onto the garage and ate some then came back to the porch and hid it under my window box. I loved that bird and I really loved this poem. Thank you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home