Monday, July 25, 2005

Banquet at the Abbey

Traveller Rose
The caravan



It was so good to be at the Abbey again - I went down to the shore to check on my caravan and found all is well - my old horse Tinker has made himself at home here, found the apple grove and a rich store of windfalls - I don't think he will want to leave. I left mybeautiful Fallada with him for company while I went back to the banqueting hall for the performance. Fallada seems happy to be reunited with me - I wonder where his wise, wild nature took him all those years we were apart? Into the imagination of a child, the inspiration of an artist, or into the landscape of dreams? He hasn't changed at all, he is still the same beautiful dapple grey arab who was my constant companion in childhood.Back at the banqueting hall I was beset by nerves - my throat dries up completely when I have to speak in public. Then I remembered I had called on my old friend Traveller Rose for help. She had made a special blend of herbal oils to give me courage. I dabbed it on -lavender, rosemary, the sharp scent of cloves - Rose is an artist with herbs. I thought of her in her green skirt and old brown boots, her black shawl tied tight around her shoulders, as I stepped onto the stage and into her persona as my mask for the evening. She had lent me her brightly coloured peasant blouse and her green skirt, and I wore boots like hers, but not as worn with tramping the roads.

What a wonderful night it was - I managed to get through my performance without embarrassing myself (or Rose) and watched the rest with joy - as I expected, Karen took my breath away - Anita, Lisa, Megan, Barbara were all so good that I almost changed my mind about going onstage. But everyone was so wonderful that I actually enjoyed it. Still, it was with relief that I was able to sit back and watch Lois - when she danced and whirled around the stage I saw a girl of 18. Audrey conjured up wonderful pictures in the air, Leonie created wondrous shapes from words and Alex recited a poem I had long known and loved. Soon we will be back at Duwamish - I shall meet up with the carnival people again. It was the first place I headed for - drew me like a magnet - and for a time I felt as if I were a child again, surrounded by people whose natural way of life is travelling. But I shall gather all those impressions together when we return. Right now I want to slip away and tell Fallada and Tinker about the banquet, and take them some of the delicious oatcakes from the Abbey kitchen.

5 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Believer said...

It was wonderful, wasn't it! I could have used some of Traveller Rose's herbs!

The horses are beautiful--can I ride in the caravan some time, I've never been inside one?

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

It wouldn't have been the same without you. I'm glad you took your moment to shine

Anita Marie

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

thank you both - this journey is proving more than I ever imagined it could be.
And Believer, you are welcome at the caravan any time - Tinker loves company and you will find a little camp stove and some provisions for making tea.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I love the atmosphere of this piece Gail. Now be a bonny lass and go and post it on the Lemurian Abbey forum. The Abbess will be happy.
The Enchantress

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the thought of Tinker and your caravan...I would like to take a nap inside it sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home