Monday, October 24, 2005

Little Brother

A friend found a tiny baby rabbit,
abandoned -- hand small,
and tried to save it,
held against her chest and fed
with a milk dipped cloth --
but it was not to be ...

Her grief is disproportionate, perhaps,
but I wrote her this song --

Little Brother

Hoo - lee Hoo - le - ee
My bunnie gone no hunting.
Little brother nestle dear,
Heart to heart now pining.

Hoo - lee Hoo - le - ee
My spirit wanders with thee.
Hush -- hush furry brother;
Serpent-Sphere protects you.

Hoo - lee Hoo - le - ee
We are one and one again.
Fire bright, sing the night
Tears and years remember.

Hoo - lee Hoo - le - ee
Hoo -- hoo -- le - leee

faucon

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Lovely, Faucon, just lovely.

Vi

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Lois said...

Faucon....
We had a tiny rabbit long ago in the late 60's,she came from a kindergarten to live with us as a baby.
She settled in well and lived with the chooks,made her own burrow under her hutch.
The children used to bring her inside on cold days....BUT she ate the leg of the chair,the fabric on the couch ,dug up the carpet etc etc....So I had to put a stop to all this damage
She may have been cuddly and loveable but she was destructive as well and unfortunately insurance does not cover rabbit damage inside a home.(It should you know)
She lived till age 11.
When I look back is is not a good life for a rabbit all alone with 6 chooks... She did not meet any other rabbits and most likely didn't know she was a rabbit..
She travelled with us on camping holidays to a seaside town called Rosebud ,living in a hutch inside the tent ,travelling for hours by car ,no after effects it seemed..This went on for 5 years,what with travelling with 2 dogs,one bird,one rabbit 2 children plus camping gear...I often wonder how I had the patience to do it all.
I think I must have been mad in those days....Photos I have will attest to the strained look on my face on these holidays.
But then Faucon I was a mere girl of 30...
She was a spoilt rabbit,not many of her tribe travel to a seaside town for Christmas holidays do they..............
I have not eaten rabbit ever since ......

Lois (Muse of the Sea)
25/10/05

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Not disproportionate at all - I still miss my dear friends Frodo and Guinness.
I loved your story too, Lois - so right about the damage. Frodo used to neatly snip wires in half - always managed to stop the stereo dead in his tracks but never himself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home