Saturday, August 06, 2005

Mayors to Declare River Towns Disaster Area!

Hundreds of reporters and scientists from around the world are flying in to Duwamish Bay and surrounding areas to investigate the phenomenon of Serpent's Way, the local river that disappeared overnight.

"It was there when I went to bed," Sylvie Bloom, a local resident told the Duwamish Courier, "and then in the mornin' I got up with this real queer feeling in the pit of my stomach and I didn't know why, but like it was too quiet, and I went outside and I realized there wasn't no gurglin' sound and then I saw the dry river bed and the rocks. Didn't see no fish. The river must've took 'em with it, wherever it went."

A sad shake of the head was all this reporter could elicit from Sidney Fenstermacher the county's riverkeeper, when we asked for his theory on the peculiar disappearance. Fenstermacher, whose eclectic job consists of patrolling the banks and handing out summons to polluters, analyzing water samples, and measuring fish and water snakes, seemed dazed and disoriented. After several minutes of silence he finally spoke. "Hope folks don't blame me. I always did my best. Guess I'll have to give back the boat and hip boots. No need for them now anyways."

So far scientists are keeping mum, but residents and tourists put forth pet theories from global warming to a curse because tradition was broken when strangers were allowed to attend a New Year banquet at the House of the Serpent. Some even claim the Gorgon's fury was the cause. This has been discounted by countless eyewitness who saw her swaying happily to the music as two Australian members of the traveling troupe danced for her. The snakes and gifts she distributed to everyone present should be enough to dispel at least this one rumor.

Make no mistake, lives will change in this corner of the world, the economy will crash within a week and the future of several counties looks bleak unless the river returns as miraculously as it left. The City Council will meet tonight at 7:00pm and mayors from towns all along Serpents Way are expected to declare the entire county a disaster area, the first step before asking for International Aid.

Gianni Onadispoto--for the Duwamish Courier

2 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

What an article! And I agree this was no curse brought on by the celebrations.

Something else is at work, I don't think scientists are going to be of much use...just a feeling. But I think we need a visit from a Marie Laveau type SOON.

PS I LOVED THIS NEWS STORY LOVED IT
LOVED IT...I HOPE YOU TURN IT INTO A SERIES!

Anita Marie

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Believer said...

You are just so good for me, Anita!
Thanks!

Whoa, just read a transcript from someone named Philpot, who found a fish on her lawn and saw something snaking across the sky.

Don't know about you, but I'm heading inside to turn on the news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home